Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I'm Cheap: Pattern Blocks

Posted by



Y'know those pattern blocks that you played with in elementary school? The ones I played with were wood, but my younger siblings told me theirs were plastic.

Anyway, I've been wanting to get some for Little Boy for a long time. Preferably wood, but plastic would be okay. I haven't been able to get any yet, but when I saw Confessions of a Homeschooler's Pattern Block Cards, I had an idea.

See, I've had some craft foam (from the dollar store!) hanging out in the bottom of my craft bin for a loooong time. I keep forgetting it's there. When I saw the Pattern Block Cards (which are supposed to be used with the real blocks), I thought maybe I could cut them out and let Little Boy play with those until we get the real thing.

But cardstock "blocks" didn't seem like they'd last very long...but craft foam "blocks" would! So I used the Pattern Cards to trace the shapes onto the foam, and cut the shapes out of the foam. They're still not super durable, but they'll last longer than paper.

Little Boy likes playing with them, but he spends more time squishing them in his hands than making patterns out of them. He starts making patterns, but he just can't resist their foamy squishiness. Can't really blame him, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...